Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Maybe Because it is Spring...


I was reading an article that addressed the cost of having and caring for a lawn. The cost of seed, fertilizer, water, cost of fuel to mow the lawn, along with how much time is put into maintaining a lawn. According to this article, you can read the whole article here, having a well cared for lawn can be costly.
 I have always told AJ that I don't need a large lawn, just enough for the us to relax and ride dirt bikes. Yes, we use our land!
We would rather have animals, garden, herbs, along with some fruit or nut trees growing in the ground rather than large areas of grass.
Part of my mindset concerning this subject might come from my growing up with land covered in pasture for animals, large gardens and fruit trees. Even our "flower boxes" were filled with strawberries!
 When I came to the comment asking what could be done with the space that at the moment was covered in lawn I was saddened and surprised that he did not think to plant a garden it it's stead.  Another option would be to put up some nice fencing and have a few chickens ( if allowed by the county ) , maybe plant an orchard.
   Maybe because it is spring my whole being just wants to plant and have something grow.
We did put up the white flag and admit that it is going to be a cool summer, we planted radishes, carrots and just recently beets. We have started plants inside but it is still a bit chilly for them to be planted outside, maybe next week. Baby steps.
 A book my Mom loaned me and I highly recommend reading is The Dirty Life A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love by Kristin Kimball. You might have a hard time resisting the urge to plant a garden or buy a few chicks from the farm store after you read this book.  Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment