Wednesday, April 9, 2014

All Within Five Miles

Last weekend we went to a book-sale at our local library, I walked away with two bags of very old history books for two dollars! The best part though was when the librarian announced that they were handing out bags, each child could fill a bag with any of the children's books for free! We enjoyed reading some of those treasures this morning!
 On the way home from this event we stopped at a farm that has Jersey cows. I was hoping to speak with the farmer and see if they would sell me milk for the pigs we may be getting soon. No one was home but I did meet the neighbor lady on the way to my car. She kindly agreed to give them my card and let them know that I was interested in buying about five gallons ( I came up with that amount on the spot, a good question, one I had not thought of, sigh ) of milk per week. 
 Now if you know me the fact that I stopped at a complete strangers house might come as a shock to you. The fact that I have been driving past this small farm for months trying to figure out what to say if I ever worked up the nerve to actually knock on the door is not a surprise to you at all. " Do I say my full name? Will they let me bring my own containers for the milk. How much do I want to pay? Do I admit that I would love to come and milk one of their cows by hand...hmm, maybe leave that part out." 
  Today we stopped at another farm and bought eggs. I love shopping this way, supporting the local farmers and knowing that we are putting fresh, real food on the table is wonderful! 
  TTFN! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment