Saturday, June 14, 2014

Thanks Adam and Eve

I have family from out of town coming to visit tomorrow. We are all looking forward to enjoying a week of laughter and fun at the lake. I prepared like an Amish women making homemade potato salad, hard-boiled eggs, bread, and much more today in between events and work in the garden. My parents blessed me with strawberries from their strawberry patch so I am set in the dessert and fresh fruit area thanks to them!
 This morning we cleaned the house and went to the local library to sign up for the Summer Book Club. While waiting outside in the sunshine to sign-up one of the ladies said, "Will you look at that!" We all looked up as three large John Deere tractors drove by. A silence came over everyone as they passed, almost as if we were paying them reverence. Once they passed one of the ladies said, "Well, they will have those fields done in no time!" We all agreed and conversations turned to farming.
 Once my boys were signed up they quickly went to get in-line for some face-painting. We saw the daughter of the family that we had purchased our pigs from and said "hello". She asked how the pigs were doing and the boys excitedly answered her that they were doing well. Another boy piped up that his family had pigs as well and so the conversation continued, children having their faces painted while talking hogs.
Later we left the library happy with a bag of books and prizes from sign-up day.
 Once at home the work began and as soon as the housework was done we turned to the garden. We had a lot of work to do and little time. I loosened the weeds with a hoe and the boys followed behind picking them up and putting them in a bucket. We told made-up stories and the time passed quickly. Once the boys were finished they went off to play with the neighbor children and I continued to weed and than plant the rest of my seedlings. I hacked at the earth like a mad woman. " This earth will be mine, it will grow food for my family!"
 While wildly whacking at a patch of weeds I thought of a sermon about Adam and Eve where the speaker said, " You had one job!" when he spoke about Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit. "Thanks Adam and Eve I thought, thanks a lot! Now I have to fight off weeds so that I can grow a tomato!"
 Later I reached for a book I have been reading ( more about that later ) and noticed my veins were "popping". While weeding the garden the last few weeks has been hard it is helping me get back into shape and I have to admit, I like it! Gorgeous George step aside, Earth Momma coming through!
 As is often the case, something good can come from something bad.
Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy a bit of sunshine!

           Reading The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery
 

No comments:

Post a Comment